Business rule descriptions and tags
Service Management provides several features to accommodate working with business rules, including rule descriptions, a tagging capability to categorize related rules, and a search feature.
Business rule descriptions
When the Show rule descriptions check box at the top of the Processes and Rules tab is selected, a brief description of each out-of-the-box rule is displayed above the rule. The check box is selected by default; you can clear the check box to hide the descriptions.
Note Descriptions are provided for most of the out-of-the-box rules for the following record types:
- Service definition
- Survey Question
You can also add descriptions for new rules that you define. For more information on adding a rule, see How to add a business rule.
Business rule tags
Some out-of-the-box business rules are assigned a tag which indicates a topic related to the rule. Rules related to the same topic will share a common tag. The tags are provided out-of-the-box and cannot be edited or deleted.
When the Show rule descriptions check box at the top of the Processes and Rules tab is selected, tags for out-of-the-box rules are displayed above the rule:
The check box is selected by default; you can clear the check box to hide the tags and descriptions.
By searching for rules with a specific tag, you can easily identify all the rules associated with a particular feature.
Note A rule can have multiple tags.
Business rule search
The search window at the top of the Processes and Rules tab enables you to search within the business rules. The following search options are available:
- Free text. Enter a search phrase in the search window.
- Field. Click the down arrow and in the Field window, select a field from the drop-down list.
- Tag. Click the down arrow and in the Tag window, enter a tag.
- Rule ID. Click the down arrow and in the Rule ID window, enter the rule ID.
button. For free text, Rule ID, and field searches, the exact occurrences of the entered phrase or field are highlighted in yellow. For tag searches, all the rules containing the tag are highlighted. For all options, the current instance is highlighted in orange and you can scroll through them using the arrow buttons next to the search window.
- The search runs from the selected level of the tree and down. For example, if you select a metaphase, the search will run on the metaphase as well as on the phases and transitions within that metaphase. Each level with an occurrence of the search item is indicated with a yellow dot. Within the selected level, you can scroll through the occurrences with the arrow buttons. For the other levels indicated by the yellow dot, you must run the search again.
- If no occurrence of the search item is found under the selected level, a zero appears in a red box in the search window.
- Processes and Rules
- Studio business rules
- Action rule examples
- Validation rule examples
- Rendering rule examples
- Field selection rule examples